Even though I do not like calling it a "diet" because diets are viewed as temporary, here are some tips for the way I diet/live.
1. Drink AT LEAST 2L of water a day. Yes, you will probably pee a lot when you start drinking this much, but your body will definitely thank you for it =)
2. Cut out carbonated drinks, sugary juices, sweet tea, etc. Substitute with 100% juice (ex: Naked juice), 100% green tea, black coffee. Sweeten with honey, if desired.
3. Stop drinking alcohol. YES, I KNOW...it is soooo hard for many people to ditch this. But if you're serious about gaining muscles, learn to live without the alcohol. It harms you more than it helps you, even if you can't see it yet.
4. Eat about 4-6 SMALL meals a day, snack healthy in-between if you need to. Portion your foods and STOP eating once you're satisfied. It takes a while for your brain to tell you that you're full so if you stop when you realize you're full, you've eaten too much and will probably feel stuffed.
5. Cut out carbs after 7pm. Stop eating about 3 hours before you fall asleep.
6. GET SOME SLEEP. Who cares if someone calls you a grandma/grandpa if you sleep at 11pm? It's great for your body and your brain...AND your muscles. Sleep at least 7-8 hours a night. And try to sleep around the same time every night & wake up around the same time every day to get your body into that circadian rhythm.
7. Get some protein in your system before or after your workout. Protein is what helps build muscles and if you want to tone, you need muscles...therefore, you need protein.
Don't worry if you slip in your journey, just get back on track. Everyone fails, you're not alone. Get up and keep going.